Saturday, March 27, 2010

God is in the TV...Well at Least We Act Like It.

According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more
than 4 hours of TV each day (28 hours/week). This means that the we 
spend two months of each year watching TV. In a 65-year life, you will
have spent 9 years of your life glued to the tube. Leviticus 26:1 says "Do
not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and 
do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it.I am the
Lord your God." Yeah, maybe we don't carve out stones and worship 
them, but we most certainly spend thousands of dollars on our high 
definition TVs and spend way too much time watching them.I know 
because I am as guilty as anyone.  For those that don't watch much TV 
just insert Facebook, Xbox360, Wii, PS3, text messaging, or other time
killers.
 
To my Christian friends, take a minute to think about what you could 
do with the time spent idolizing your television. You could spend time 
reading your Bible, praying, or you could devote this time to to reaching
out tothose who don't know Christ and that need your help. Are there 
lives not being saved because you are looking for God in the TV? 
Because I watch enough to know he is not in there. So I challenge you
(and me) take half of the time your waste on useless things and
devote it to serving your Lord and Savior. John 12:26 says "Whoever
serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. 
My father will honor the one who serves me." Again he is not in the TV,
 even if your new HD TV does look heavenly on game day. 
 
To anyone who does not know Christ, I challenge you to take just one
hour (25%) of your TV time to read The Bible.  I personally suggest 
your start with the New Testament. If you do this, your life will never 
be the same. The answers to having a happy life on this earth lie within
those pages.   For those who think the bible can't help them.  Have you
ever read it? If not, then how do you know? 

No comments:

Post a Comment